Tuesday, August 18, 2009

iphone

It's happened, I've caved, I am now my children's mother and am 'excited' because I have an iphone!  A friend, who upgraded from a 2.0 iphone to an 3.? iphone gave me her 'old' phone.  It's pretty and has all of the buttons and whistles to impress any 15 year old.  My son, aged 13, is fighting me for it.  He wants me to "trade" phones because he says I "don't know how to use it properly".  It's a phone not an emergency room life saving device for god's sake!  But the truth is, he's right, I only know how to:  Make a call, receive a call, set the alarm, text (I think) and I think that may be it.  It's sad because when I look at all those other buttons I think, 'gee why do they even have all those other buttons?'.   I'm sure my 13 year old knows and I know my 15 and 18 year olds know.  As someone pointed out to me the other day, "They are natives and we are immigrants to all this new technology".  The strange thing is they too have to learn.  Why is our learning curve so much greater?  

No comments: