Saturday, August 30, 2008
The 'Blogging Guru' has made a great suggestion. Part of the 'simple pleasure' blog should include an opportunity for people to vent. Not major grievances, just minor, daily drags. For example:
1. When letting somebody move into a lane of traffic it really irks me when they don't wave 'thanks'
2. When my husband thinks I'm done eating and there's a little piece of something that I really want he'll finish it before giving me first right of refusal.
3. When I go an entire day with something between my teeth and NOBODY tells me
4. When my children yell at me
I guess I could go on forever but will stop here.
I hope you will contribute to the Daily Drag Poll.
Friday, August 29, 2008
Victoria's Simple Pleasures (in no particular order):
Playing with a child.
Getting a shampoo or massage!
Sleeping with my cat snuggled next to me (extra points if it is a nap during a storm!)
Having a really good workout.
Wine-- the smell, the taste, the look, everything.
A new book from one of the authors I follow waiting for me at the library.
A clean house.
Playing with a puppy.
A homemade cheeseburger with grilled Vidalia onion on a toasted Kaiser with dijon and ketchup!
Getting together with the girls in Milwaukee!
Last spring I had the opportunity to attend the National Art Education conference in New Orleans. I was able to see the devastation that hit that city. Three years later things there is still so much work to be done. There are neighborhoods, ninth ward and St. Bernard Parish where demolished houses still stand. Skeletal structures, which used to be houses, still stand, with the 'X's above the doors, signifying the amount of bodies recovered after the storm.
Part of my visit included a screening of the documentary, Katrina's Children. On this third anniversary of the most devastating natural disaster that has hit our country I am reminded of the people who suffered the most, the children. If you have the opportunity please see this movie. Remember who was affected the most and what we can do to help bring about change!
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Monday, August 25, 2008
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Hope's list of detestable chores:
1. Cleaning the filters on the air conditioning vent
2. Cleaning behind the toilets
3. Folding laundry
4. Unloading the dishwasher
I know this is supposed to be a blog with lists of simple pleasures but I just couldn't resist. I mean, after all, my days aren't ALL full of simple pleasures!
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Sunday, August 17, 2008
From across the Atlantic Ocean, (by the Adriatic Sea), here's a slightly different outlook on the pleasures of everyday life:
Thank god it's 5 a.m. at last. I can get up and start get moving again!
Driving to work although it's a weekend day (it seems like I can't find myself a decent, regular hobby like everybody else!).
Finding out that, unlike most other qualities, common sense grows with age.
Discovering, to my utmost surprise, that my wife Cinzia might actually be wiser than I am.
Discovering (with a little fatherly disappointment but great relief indeed) , that my 20-year old son Marco might actually be less daredevil than I was at his age.
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
okay Hope, since I also believe the beauty in life is in the details, here are mine...
1. Cappucino at the French Bakery early in the morning
2. My daughters smiling or laughing (about anything)
4. A soulful moment/conversation with a friend
5. A really great, long, hard bike ride to Key Biscayne
6. Anything mother nature makes
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Monday, August 11, 2008
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Renee's simple pleasures:
A bitter sweet summer makes me appreciate:
1. Opening the front door to a sunny, hot morning and the Rocky Mountain news on my porch.
2. Savouring my 15 minutes of coffee time alone before the day begins.
3. Watching my father make it through another day.
4. Seeing my daughter appreciate her first 800 page book.
5. How Harley Davidson has such a grip on my husband!!!
Margaret's Simple Pleasures
Friday, August 8, 2008
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
The response to 'Simple Pleasures' has been wonderful. I would encourage everyone to send out the blog site to all their friends and family. I am not very good at putting images on the blog but if you can figure it out, please, by all means, attach one!
Amended August 12...Went to book group on Sunday and the facilitator drew from Hamlet. The paralells were so interesting. I found the book to be so much better after hearing those connections!
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Monday, August 4, 2008
2. sorry to be like Hope and Sally, but that first sip of coffee with the morning paper is sublime.
3. sitting with Dennis on our outward facing love-seat each night watching the sun set while we drink a bottle of wine
4. running while the morning breaks
5. cooking big meals for an appreciative family (plus girlfriends)
6. watching my kids play sports
7. watching Charlie play guitar and sing his own songs
Sunday, August 3, 2008
2. The first sip of orange Juice in the morning
3. lounging on a floating device in the pool
4. waking up to text messages or phone calls from friends
5. Buying a cute dress and then wearing it out
6. checking my facebook and seeing comments or messages
7. Hearing my mom say she's proud of me
8. mixing cereals with fruit
9. Watching back to back episodes of Lost with my little sister
Saturday, August 2, 2008
My list started out pretty small but after viewing some wonderful responses I decided to 'try' out some of the responses. So here's my amended list:
1. my first sip of coffee in the morning
2. swimming laps and breathing deeply
3. fresh berries on my cereal
4. checking my email messages first thing in the AM
5. reading the NY Times
6. reading The New Yorker magazine (sometimes I don't get to issues for months but I can always find a new article)
7. listening to my son try and figure out a song on the piano
8. dinner with my husband and kids (even if we have heated discussions)
9. getting an email from somebody I haven't heard from for a long time
10. walking to the ocean especially when it's early morning and the water is like 'glass'
There have been many additions....thanks to friends and family. I'm hoping that I will get more idea from other people's lists.
1 fixing and re-doing my myspace to reflect me and my interests.
2 driving by the water on a daily basis and enjoying the view.
3 downloading and making new CDs for my car.
4 and when my mom and dad tell me they love me and are proud of me.
Friday, August 1, 2008
1. Laughing with my kids. I love it when they make me laugh and am so glad they both have a great sense of humour.
2. The first bite of that egg, bacon and cheese kolache after my long run on Saturday mornings.
4. Like Hope, that first sip of coffee in the morning, especially when I'm the first one up and no one else is around.
5. A glass of good red wine with a slice of Manchego
6. Curling up on the sofa with a good book, a little dog, Siena, on my lap and a big one, Sophie, at my feet
7. Fresh flowers in my kitchen
8. Breakfast in bed
1. The sight of the stream at the end of our street
2. The flowers in by back yard; right now the butterfly bush is in full bloom covered with butterflies.
3. The whinny of the horses across the street when it’s dinner time, and my dogs talking back to them
4. Hitting tennis balls
5. Dove ice cream bars covered with almonds
6. My back porch now with an outlet to work outside….and keeping in touch by email to those who anchor me in all this junk.
Hope, THANK YOU for doing this. Rough week.
1. First sip of coffee
3. Reading the New Yorker
4. Picking up and reading the NY Times first thing in the morning
5. Watching the sun rise and set over lake Michigan (the reflections in the evening)
6. Watching Judge Judy
7. Meandering around a market checking out whats good to eat with my eyes
8. Playing ball with my dog
9. Making people laugh with my stories of every day happenings.
Posted on July 28, 2008
1. Using a new pen or refilling an old favorite and using it for the first time in ages
2. Discovering a new song that speaks to me
3. Wednesday night spinning at the Biltmore
4. Rare- medium rare cheddar cheeseburgers with fries and a beer
5. Driving from Key Biscayne to the Deering Estate along Main, Ingraham highways and eventually Old Cutler on a cool fall day with the windows down and the radio loud
6. Golf on a sunny day
7. Reading a good book with my dog curled up next to me
8. Beach days
9. Drawing and painting things that make me laugh
10. Hugging old friends
11. Text messaging
12. Soy steamers with a shot of hazelnut in the morning
…and so many more.