Sunday, January 10, 2010

Double Feature

Last night we went to see two movies! The first, A Single Man, with Colin Firth. It's based on a novel by Isherwood (done into a play, I Am A Camera and then Cabaret). I thought it was beautifully done: Filming, music and acting. Then Jordi wanted to see The Blind Side (I had already seen it). I liked it but think I liked Precious more. They aren't exactly the same but very similar in idea; kids from underprivileged neighborhoods, making it out, pulling themselves up by the bootstraps. I found The Blind Side to be endearing but a bit too Hollywoodish. Precious was raw. Monique, I thought, did a fantastic job.

4 comments:

Sally said...

I was just going to write a Dailure about movies and came to your blog and you wrote about movies! I haven't seen either of the two you mentioned, but they are both on my to-see list, as is Precious. I think I can watch Colin Firth in ANY kind of movie, kind of like Denzel Washington. I want to see Precious before Alexandra leaves. I love seeing movies with her.

Hope Torrents said...

I loved A Single Man. I thought it was a beautifully executed movie. Precious is good, not easy but good. Daniel just received the DVD of Precious. The Blind Side was good but a bit too Hollywoody.

Hollis said...

Wow, you guys are on a movie tear! Good for you. I'm jealous of course, but appreciate your reviews.

Hope Torrents said...

Hollis, it's been a bit chilly (Saturday night got down to 27 degrees) and we're all MAJOR WIMPS, here in S. Florida. So not much else to do but go to the movies. I think you'd really like A Single Man.