Sunday, April 18, 2010

Dailure at the dog park

I started taking Cleo to the dog park.  Yesterday we were there for two hours; don't know where the time went, we 'met' new dogs, played in the pond and schmoozed.  Cleo and I had a great time.  Dog people seem to be funny people, they don't jump into relationships, they size their humans up, go 'smelling' around for ilk of their kind or not, and then only speak 'dog'.  It's a whole new world to me.  I don't think I'm really an Alpha human. I don't feel comfortable just joining the circle, kind of stand outside and assess for awhile and 'feel' my way in.  And that's exactly how Cleo behaves in her world.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Did I ever tell you about the time that I took Sophie, my "alpha" boxer, to the dog park? We got kicked out for bad behavior. Most humiliating!

Your friendly, neighborhood Blog guru said...

Dog park dynamics are unique. No question. I was actually the driving force behind getting the first dog park in the city of Providence and my labrador, Nellie, was a TOTAL bully. I had to stop using the park cause she would body slam smaller dogs and make them fly across the park. Not exactly a popular behavior with anyone except Nellie.